February 1, 2009

monday quiz: back away slowly edition

i'm very pleased to once again present a guest post by the one and only seahorse. if you have a chronic condition, you've probably seen that glazed look you get from a health professional who just doesn't want to deal with anything complex. who's afraid of the big bad chronic patient? take seahorse's quiz and find out!

take it away, seahorse:

We all know that the medical profession can be somewhat hands-off where long-term chronic health conditions are concerned. So what's going on? Are they too scared to treat us? Lazy? Do they think it's someone else's responsibility? Or are they too ignorant to realise that sometimes a little intervention goes a long way...

Which of the following scenarios resulted in a "Sorry, we can't treat you... like noooo way, now get out of my clinic!" type response:
On presenting at hospital with severe jaundice and malnutrition
On presenting at the dentist's for a filling
On presenting at the gynae clinic with ongoing menstrual problems
On presenting at the dentist's for an Xray
On presenting at physio, for (erm) physio
On presenting at the doctor's for nutrition shakes
Free polls from Pollhost.com
please vote! and then add your comments-- have you scared the crap out of a health professional lately? are you too complicated to touch with a ten-foot pole?

seahorse has given us the answer in the comments section. you can still make your guess above before reading about seahorse's experience. many thanks to seahorse for giving us another thought-provoking quiz!

15 comments:

Gaina said...

I voted for menstrual problems because normies don't like to think of us having any normal bits and bobs that facilitate sex and procreation...oh no, that would make us....**gasp** human!

FridaWrites said...

I voted for physio, but gosh this is difficult! Realistically I can see most of these as possibilities. I also think Gaina could be right.

Donimo said...

I see your point, Gaina. I think it could be any of these, even the simple ones, sadly. It's just SICK that having a complex condition with, eek, multiple symptoms, would be a barrier to getting proper health care. Scary.

FridaWrites said...

I want to know the answer and the story! I want to know, I want to know!

Donimo said...

Now, Frida, you need to be patient! Im glad you're so keen, but you'll have to wait a bit: Seahorse will enlighten us next Monday.

seahorse said...

Hi there :-) All will be revealed I promise

FridaWrites said...

where, where's the answer? ;)

Donimo said...

Seahorse is AWOL right now, so we're going to have to wait for the answer. Maybe she's stuck in the snow somewhere?

FridaWrites said...

I hope she's doing okay--I then started worrying after I posted.

Donimo said...

Me, too. I sent her an email checking in. I'll let you know.

seahorse said...

Hi all, so sorry! I have serious memory lapses, especially at busy times and I just forgot to check back here at the weekend.

Anyway, the answer is: Most of the time apart from the serious stuff. Jaundice and malnutrition and severe menstrual problems were taken seriously (at hospital anyway) and treated. But try getting treatment for a filling? The more regular appointments tend to be the ones where people back off. So, the dentist couldn't cope with my meds, the physio told me I was too ill for physio, and the GP refused me nutrition shakes when I had a BMI of 16 on the grounds of...wait for it: cost! In that case it wasn't so much that I was chronically sick so they didn't want to know as it hadn't been diagnosed at that point. More a case of - we can't get our heads around your sudden weight loss as you don't fit regular experience, so we're washing our hands of you. They wanted me to leave. I did.

Donimo said...

another excellent quiz, seahorse. i see how the "simpler" appointments end up being the ones that are complicated by the tech's (or other professionals) tunnel vision: they are focused on the one thing they normally do for a"usual" appointment and refuse to think about things being more complex. is it laziness? as far as the doc and the shakes... that's just so wrong.

i've experienced not fitting into a doctor's idea of how a treatment "should" work or how one would "normally" react. i find that once i start to veer from the normal trajectory, insecure or lazy docs will suddenly suggest that i don't have a problem at all and don't actually need any treatment. magic!

FridaWrites said...

Well, Seahorse, that certainly confirms my fear that are can be denied on the basis of disability or medical complexity. The dentist in particular surprises me.

Donimo, I've had this happen too. But if only my body and its abnormalities would quickly return to normal.

steef said...

nice post

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.