June 8, 2008

monday quiz: the scooter edition

a small sea creature has come to my rescue! who would have thought. the monday quiz lives thanks to seahorse, a blogger in england who writes an often funny, thoroughly enlightening, visually engaging blog that i am really very fond of. here we go then, with our third guest blogger and our first scooter user. in her words:

seahorse writes the blog beauty offensive, where rage or loveliness win the day depending on what mood she is in. she uses a mobility scooter and often gets angry. sometimes the two are connected. but by her own admission she’s always been a stroppy cow.

which of the comments below, all encountered by seahorse whilst out and about on her scooter, made her blood boil the most? we’re talking right off the boilometer, 0-60 in two seconds, red face and steaming ears before you can say, “was it something i said?”

which comment sent seahorse scooting to the boiling point?
“Tut,” huffs a mother who whisks her toddler from certain death
as Seahorse tries to navigate a crowded supermarket aisle.
“What’s your top speed?” utters some wit in the playground.
“I wish I had one of those!” sighs a pensioner who then goes
on her merry able-bodied way. Oh, you poor old thing.
“You were walking yesterday!” exclaims a neighbour. Hmmm. Very observant.
“Get out of my way, old man!” yells a small, truculent boy who
is instantly hushed and marched off by his mother. Were
you talking to me? Seriously?
Free polls from Pollhost.com

thanks, seahorse! as someone who occasionally uses a wheelchair, i have heard some winners. hmmm. which one revved you up the most? the answer is now in the comments section. seahorse also muses upon the etymology of the phrase "stroppy cow." is it a good thing to be?

don't forget, the poll is still open for voting!

6 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Ooh, this one's tricky!--and I use a scooter too. I waffled between the neighbor's observation, since the neighbor doesn't get that disability is a fluid process and that your pain level is "way high" and the little boy, whose prejudices are reinforced by mom, who doesn't talk to him directly and immediately by telling him that he's being rude and unfair. She has the option of talking about disability further and at length later, but she should have said something right away. I went with this option, though the neighbor comment is exasperating!

Thanks for the quiz, Seahorse--I love these!

sarah said...

how do the brits do it? i think you guys must have some special gene that makes you excel at dark humour. you put these horrible offensive comments and i am laughing my ass off. great guest quiz!

michelle said...

Another great quiz! Your site makes me laugh and think. I think the ones that would bother me the most would be where parents are perpetuating ignorance about people with disabilities. I like Seahorse's tone... very British, very sharp. I checked out her site and see why you like it. I want a weather T-shirt and the dribbling one! Check her out, folks.

brian said...

I can't decide which one is correct, and really, I find them so awful yet believable.


I don't understand these people who feel the need to comment on somebody's scooter use. When I see folks using scooters, I think of my grandfather (a paraplegic), who died before the advent of such devices. How would his later years have been with greater access?

What of the stories of able bodied tourists renting scooters in Las Vegas or at Disney? Does this abuse really happen, or are these stories urban myth?

Great guest quiz, keep them coming!

Donimo said...

good point, brian. my dad is 80 and has very weak legs because of circulation problems. he bought himself a bright red, four wheeled fast scooter. it has made a huge difference in his life. seahorse has blogged about how her scooter has given her so much more freedom.

i was sitting in my wheelchair awhile back and a fit looking, standing man looked down at me and said, "you're lucky! i wish i could sit."

WHY do people say such things?

seahorse said...

And the answer is.....

"You were walking yesterday!" exclaims a neighbour.

The reason being it's such an in your face ignorant thing to say, and it came from an adult. Crap jokes I can fend off with a weak smile. Children can be taught better disability awareness. Adults can too for that matter, but my neighbour got me fuming. There was that awful 'lazy' implication. I looked at him from my scooter and said: "Yes, that's right. I walk too."

Incidentally, stroppy is defined as 'easily offended or annoyed; ill-tempered or belligerent'. Oh dear. Cow is an insult in the UK, though I need to do more research into quite why some animals are used in this way whereas others are not. You horse! doesn't have the same ring about it. Also, I haven't found an adequate explanation online as to why stroppy and cow came to be joined together. Sorry. Any suggestions welcome.