April 18, 2008

bottoms up! drink to your health.

i have a cold right now and can't really think too clearly. perhaps all i need to do is rely on some old-time remedies. i'll enter the way-back machine, arrive at 1897, and look to the british medical journal for advice:


like many ads today, this one doesn't say why the "medical faculty" is endorsing this product, but just having that stamp of approval solidifies the message that this whiskey is good for your health. i bet it would ease my sore throat better than a stupid warm water and salt gargle!

i'll stay in the late 1800's and follow up my shot of seven year old whiskey with a bubbly glass of coca cola. i don't know about you, but a cold makes my head hurt and my brain very foggy. i'm tired and slow and i guess all i really need is a coke:


this may have been when coke had that special "extra ingredient," i'm not sure. all i know is that it must taste better than this hot lemon juice, ginger, garlic and cayenne drink i have in front of me!

now, if i could only find the year that "pink pills for pale people" were made...

3 comments:

Katrin said...

When you get that 'way back machine' built in all your spare time, it could be a hot commodity and money maker for you. Hope you are feeling less head fogged soon.

michelle said...

Sorry to hear you're sick. I hate being sick with a virus on top of all my other stuff, so I imagine you feel pretty rough right now. I think Coca Cola had cocaine in it up until 1905 or something like that, so this drink would definitely clear your head for a bit! I bet it was better than Red Bull.

Donimo said...

Thanks, you two. Ah, what we would all do with a way-back machine...